How can you tell good quality cashews? How to know if the raw cashew nut kernels high quality? how to check the quality of cashew nuts kernels? are very common questions. Cashew is the most commonly eaten dry fruit after almonds. Cashew should be purchased only after identifying the good quality. Let’s know how to identify it? how to check the quality of cashew nuts when buying at market?
To know the high quality of raw cashew nuts or not, we rely on the following 5 big factors:
- Cashew nuts kernels are less damaged, the better quality they are
- Cashew kernels are completely clean, which means good quality
- Color Of Cashew Kernels is White, which means good quality
- A bigger size Of Cashew kernels means higher quality.
- The long expiration date, good quality
The Less Damaged The Better Quality
Cashew nuts are damaged by worms when dark spots appear on the surface of the cashew kernel. The shriveled appearance of the nuts and discolorations such as black dots on cashews can indicate that there are worms in them. Visible holes in cashews can also be a sign of insect presence. These kernels damaged by worms affect the aesthetics and make the seeds taste bitter and acrid. That why the less damaged the cashew kernels, the better quality they are.
The Fewer Husk Peels Left, The Better They Are
The husk of cashews (cashew testa) is slightly acidic. Although it does not affect our health, it causes an itchy neck and cough when used a lot. While buying cashews, if they are completely clean, means good quality.
Color Of Cashew Kernels
In the cashew nut classification system, the high quality cashew nuts means the white whole kernels, not having dark spots or reddish shades on the kernel surface. Do not buy cashew nut if it is turn into light yellow, because they are influenced by oil from the shell. White cashew kernels are higher quality than scorched cashews
- Whole White Cashew Nut Kernels: The entire cashew nut will be of the same and consistent ivory/ white color. This is a higher quality of cashew nut grade.
- Scorched Cashew Nut Kernels: Having darker and reddish shades on the kernel surface. This color change could be due to different factors like longer roasting, bug bites, cashew damages, influenced by oil from the shell. This is a lower quality cashew nut grade.
Size Of Cashew Kernels
The larger the kernels, the more delicious they are, the more nutrients in the nut kernels, the greater the value. For Example Top high-quality Vietnam cashew:
- Vietnam Cashew W240 is a large, white, whole cashew with non-damaged that has between 220 and 240 nuts/pound (395 – 465 beans/kg) and is known internationally as Premium Large Nuts. This is the highest grade of cashew nuts originating in Vietnam.
- Vietnam Cashew W320 is the cashew nut kernels with high quality, whole nuts with non-damaged, and non-split and white, popular whole cashew that would produce between 300 – 320 pieces per pound (453,59 g) – (about 660 – 706 pieces per kg), and is known internationally as Large Nuts
- Vietnam Cashew W450 is a small, white, whole-grain cashew that has between 400 and 450 nuts/pound (880 – 990 beans/kg) and is known internationally as Standard Nuts.
Read More => What Difference Between W320 Cashew vs W240 Cashew?
Long Expiration Date
Yes, this is of course! The long expiration date is good. Although cashew nuts have been roasted and dried, Over time, the quality of the seeds and the taste will not be as crispy as before. The shelf life of cashews when well preserved can be up to 1 year. So when buying cashew nuts, you need to store the cashew kernels well. Put them in a cool place or the refrigerator after opening the bag, so the shelf life of cashew nuts maybe longer.
A brand specializing in the production and export of agricultural products in Vietnam. We have a black soldier fly farm in Tay Ninh and a cashew growing area in Binh Phuoc. The main export products of the company are: cashew nuts, cashew nut kernels, black soldier fly, frozen seafood, shrimp, prawns, catfish… from Vietnam.